Support our SiteOffice365 Home Premium 1YR Subscription
The Account Setup Page
Before you can configure Microsoft Entourage to send and receive messages, you need to know what type of mail account you have. Different types of mail accounts have different properties. If you are not sure what type of mail account you have, ask your Internet service provider (ISP) or network administrator. There are four basic types of mail accounts:
- Web based accounts like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo
Before you get started....
Information you need to set up your accounts:
- what type of mail account you have (POP/IMAP/HotMail/MSN*/Exchange)
- your E-mail address
- your account ID and password
- addresses of your incoming and outgoing mail servers.
Tip: If you don't know the difference between a POP and IMAP Account, see Glossary
*Note: Entourage 2004 no longer works with POP3-based MSN accounts. You'll need to convert the account to a Hotmail-based account, which Entourage can then handle just fine.
Ask your ISP or system administrator if you do not have this information.
E-mail is delivered to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). The messages arrive at the ISP’s computer, called a mail server, and are stored there until you pick them up. You can also access your web based accounts: Gmrail, HotMail, Yahoo and AOL accounts through Entourage.
Simply put, a POP account downloads all new mail from the server to the user's computer. In an IMAP or Exchange account, everything is kept on the server. This is especially useful if you use several computers and/or travel.
Configuring E-Mail Accounts
- Set up an e-mail account automatically
- Set up a POP e-mail account manually
- Set up a Windows Live Hotmail Account
- Set up an IMAP e-mail account manually
- Edit an e-mail, news, or directory account
- Specify the default e-mail account
- Leave e-mail in a POP account on the server
Configuring Exchange Accounts
- Set up an Exchange account
- Exchange account settings
- Create an address book, calendar, or mail folder in an Exchange account
- Change the public folder server for an Exchange account
- Subscribe to an Exchange pubic folder
- Post information in an Exchange public folder
- Edit an e-mail, news or directory account
- I can't conect to my Exchange account
Outlook for Mac
- Hotmail, MSN, Live, Outlook.com
- Alias accounts
- Windows Live Hotmail
- Send Only Account
- No Spam Account
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Select: Mail,
- Click New. Select Account type:
- Follow the instructions in the Account Setup Assistant to set up the account.
Configure account manually
To set up your account without the assistant, click Configure account manually.
You can create multiple accounts in the same Identity. Just repeat the steps above. Use Rules to move mail to folders.
Partially download messages. This is a great way to see part of a message and decide if you even want the remainder of the message. Lot of spam messages are big. To set, click on the Options tab of accounts, set to partially retrieve messages and set to 60kb. This number can be adjusted..
Leave Messages on Server. This option allows you to set the time messages are left on the server. Just be sure to not let your mail box get full. This option is very useful in keeping a copy of your mail between backups.
Allow online access displays an account in the Folders list and allows you to read messages from this account without moving or copying them to this computer. Very similar to an IMAP account. More info