Support our site SIGNUP FOR HOSTMONSTER.COM
Support our SiteOffice365 Home Premium 1YR Subscription
- Clear newsgroups cache
- Remove attachments from sent mail
- Remove attachments from incoming mail
- Archive folders as MBOX files
- Entourage 2004 use Export -> Mail
To check how much free space is available on your startup disk:
- In Finder, select your startup disk's icon. For most users, this is Macintosh HD.
- Press the Command-I keyboard combination.
- The Get Info window for your startup disk will open.
- In the General pane, the Capacity, Available (free space), and space Used on your startup disk will be displayed.
Links to free up Hard Disk space
You also might want to consider iDefrag ($30): Defragmentation & Optimization for Mac OS X. It supports optimized defragging as well as simply (and quickly) joining free space into one continuous block. Also, it respects the system hot files.
Control+click the icon of the news server (e.g. Microsoft News Server) in the Folder List and select Empty Cache from the contextual menu that pops up. That deletes all the downloaded news messages from every news group of that server, all in one go. (Currently, this option is missing in Entourage 2008 May 28, 2008)
Create a rule (in Tools -> Rules), under the Outgoing tab:
*If any criteria are met
IF Attachment Exists
THEN Remove Attachments
(If you check your message in the Sent folder you will see an icon to indicate the message has been modified.)
Use the same rule (above), just not an outgoing rule. Don't check enabled though. Run the rule manually using Message -> Apply Rule.
If you have attachments you want to save, get the script "Friendlier Claris It" that moves attachments to a folder and logs location in message.
Drag your MBOX files into a new identity, then switch identities to search old mail. This keeps your regular database lean and more responsive.
You can also just store the MBOX file and drag it into Entourage at any time to view mail.
Tip: Create a Custom View to archive mail older than xxx days. Drag the icon for the custom view folder to the desktop to archive just mail older than xxx days. You can then delete those emails.