Support our site SIGNUP FOR HOSTMONSTER.COM
Support our Site
Sync Services and Spotlight FAQs
- Basics for How Sync Services Works
- Basics of Spotlight
- Spotlight Support in Entourage 2004
- Synchronizing Entourage with Mobile Devices by MVP Mickey Stevens
- iSync Compatible Devices
- Stopping Spotlight indexing
- How to turn Spotlight OFF (and ON Again)....Leopard Solution
Spotlight cache meta-files are stored in the Library folder.
Your Users Folder/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft/Entourage
The contents are only the first 75K of a message body.
More info Entourage 2008 & Spotlight
Problems with Duplicates
- "Look for duplicate entries" in Apple's Address Book to clean up duplicate contacts.
- Sync to push the Entourage duplicates through to Address Book.
- In Address Book select "Look for duplicate entries"
- Delete entries
- Sync will delete the duplicates in Entourage
- Use a script to delete Dealing with duplicates
- Assign a catetgory to all items even if it's a generic category. Any duplicates coming into Entourage will have the category "none" assigned. Sort by "none" and delete.
Make a backup of your Microsoft User Data folder along with iCal and Address Book data.
Some users have reported problems with lost data using Sync Services. These "glitches" are a result of problems in Apple's Sync Services. They're still working at it. Keep regular backups!!!
Read Alerts Carefully!! You could end up erasing data!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sync messages
- Sync with Palm
- Does Sync Services support categories?
- Sync directly with Sony Ericsson P910
- Sync tasks
- Sync Notes to dot Mac and iPod
- Should I continue to hide my MUD folder from Spotlight searches
- Does iCal import Entourage's holidays
- Exchange calendar as default calendar
Upgrade and Install Questions...
- Spotlight does not seem to be indexing my Entourage messages
- Reset sync services
- Force a rebuild with Spotlight
- How to re-index folders or volumes
- Preference Pane not showing Sync options
Sync Services and iCal Questions...
- Lost my iCal Home and Work calendars
- No data in Entourage iCal
- Import iCal events into Entourage Calendar
- Sync Services and iCal calendars
- Entourage calendar in iCal missing or deleted
- Bypass iCal and Address Book
- Calendar Sync reports a time zone error
- Duplicates and missing data
New Feature Questions...
No. Because Entourage stores the info in a database you cannot sync one database with another without rewriting the entire database. What you choose to do, depends on how often you feel the need to update. See Sync Database for options.
Best option is to switch to an IMAP account.
- Use the regular Entourage 2004 conduit with Palm Desktop or The Missing Sync as you did before.
- Use Sync Services with The Missing Sync. You have to disable the Entourage conduit and use the MarkSpace conduits for calendar, address book and notes.
MVP, Michel Bintener reports this work around:
iSync can filter contacts if they are in a group inside Address Book. So use the Sync Services to synchronize your Entourage addresses with Address Book, then create a new group in Address Book (call it "Sync" if you like) and drag the contacts you'd like to have on your phone in there. In iSync, you should normally have the option to synchronize a particular group only with your phone, which should do the job. Of course, as I've said, this is not the ideal solution, as it requires you to do some extra work, but nevertheless, it *should* work.
I have read that I could put a name e.g. "private" in the comment field of any contact, then use the intelligent group feature of address book to create a new group.
MVP, Corentin Cras-Méneur reports....I had a similar problem with Exchange (sync doesn't sync categories there either) and ended up using an AppleScript to write Entourage categories to the custom field 8. This custom field doesn't not appear in the System Address Book, so at this point, the script in question is useless to you, but the original script can easily be modified for anything you'd want. If you have nothing else in the Notes, you could write the categories to notes instead (not an option for me - I would need to write a parser to separate categories informations and the rest of my notes). The scripts I used are available here: http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/?p=73
If you have Tiger, Entourage 2004 will now sync to the same database the System Address Book and iCal use. Therefore, if you sync your phone through iSync, it should sync with that common database now.
Just make sure you set the preferences in Entourage to sync to Sync Services.
Entourage tasks are imported as "to do" items.
Task syncing is supported. Apple just doesn't separate from tasks (to dos) and events within their Sync Service-related dialogs and UI. MS made the decision to match Apple's design within our Sync Services implementation. You'll notice the second check box in the Entourage Sync Services preference pane reads "Synchronize events and *tasks* with iCal and .Mac".
Tasks do get synchronised across the different applications; it's only the notes that do not.
MVP, Paul Berkowitz explains....
There's no Entourage on your iPod, and no Apple application which does Notes or an equivalent. The Entourage Notes will only display in Entourage. Sync Services has a schema for them (created by Entourage) and .Mac will faithfully store them and pass them on to Sync Services on your other computer, from where Entourage on that computer syncs and displays them. If some other application ever accesses Sync Service's "Entourage Note" schema, you'd be able to get them there too. (I don't suppose you'd need anything from Microsoft to do that - Sync Services schemas must be exposed.) If some other Apple application (TextEdit, maybe?) ever is made to convert these notes to text documents and is also brought into iPods by Apple, then you might get them. Perhaps you could send a request to Missing Sync, if you have it, to see if they could get their conduits to sync to something functioning on an iPod. I suspect they could do it for Palms (which can upload applications such Missing Sync's MemoPad) but not for iPods. And that's presuming such an application could access Entourage Notes in the first place.
Newsgroup User reports this third party application to sync notes to iPod:
iPDA will sync your Entourage notes to your iPod. www.zapptek.com
7) Many of us had hidden our MUDs from Spotlight searches due to performance issues. I wonder if the MUD needs to be removed from the Privacy list in Spotlight preferences (I did remove mine, just on a hunch, and I'm having no problems with Spotlight searches -- the indexing occurred pretty quickly).
Probably best to leave the main identity folder/MUD excluded from Spotlight, assuming that you weren't having any issues beforehand -- the actual indexing is done from the files in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft/Entourage, so the private/indexable status of the MUD folder isn't relevant.
Update Jan, 2009: It is not necessary to exclude the MUD folder in Spotlight. However, it is for Time Machine. If you backup Entourage while it is open the copy could be corrupt.
iCal does not import Entourage's holidays, because holiday files are already included with iCal.
If you set your Exchange account as the default account in Tools>Account, the main Exchange Address Book and Calendar will be the ones that sync.