Support our Site
Import/Export CSV File
CSV stands for Comma Separated Values, sometimes also called Comma Delimited. A CSV file is a specially formatted plain text file which stores spreadsheet or basic database-style information in a very simple format, with one record on each line, and each field within that record separated by a comma.
Usually, questions concerning CSV files are from switchers making the move from PC to Mac. Often Entourage users need to create a CSV file for downloading or uploading their contacts for web mail like Gmail and Yahoo, or for using on a PC.
Select "Contacts to a list (tab-delimited text)"
2. Import your file into Microsoft Excel.
- Open your spreadsheet document and go to the File pull-down menu, then choose Save As....
- Change the "Save as type" or "Format" field to read: "CSV (Comma delimited)".
- Enter a name for the document and click Save.
- To check the validity of your CSV file, open the new file from a plain-text reading program such TextEdit. Check to make sure there are no extra commas, other than between fields. Depending on what program you're going to use the CSV file with, you may need to also remove any extra quotation marks or other formatting which Excel may have inserted.
Other Option to create CSV file:
Have Entourage sync with Apple Address Book. Try this free script to export a CSV file from Apple's Address Book to the Yahoo! CSV format. Then it can be uploaded to the Yahoo Web-based Address Book.
Even though CSV is not specifically mentioned, you can import. In Entourage select the Import --> Contacts from a text file --> tab delimited file and navigate to the .csv file.
Select "Contacts or messages from a text file"
Select "Import contacts from a tab- or comma-delimited text file"
Other options to import a CSV file
Use CSV to iCal Calendar Convertor to convert your CSV file to iCal format. Drag the .ics file onto the Entourage icon in your Dock to import.
Outlook2Mac...$10 <> Transfer Windows® Outlook® email, contacts, and calendar appointments from your PC to your Macintosh® computer!
If you want to try exporting from Entourage, check out Paul Berkowitz's "Export-Import Entourage" $20 script package. The instructions for exporting to CSV are in the section of the ReadMe called "3 Steps to Export to Other Programs".
See Cross Platform page for other options to move your contacts and calendar info.